The Meadows Music & Arts Festival, Year 2
What was originally forecasted to be a rainy and cold weekend turned into three beautiful late summer days at The Meadows Music & Arts Festival 2017. Now in its second year, the festival is proving to be one of—if not the best—music festivals in New York City. There's just something authentic and uniquely beautiful about throwing a festival in Queens featuring homegrown artists including Jay-Z.
Favorite food, best moments, and highlights
- The Infatuation Village featuring New York's famous #EEEEEATS including Roberta's, Brooklyn's popular wood-fire pizza boasting possibly the best pizza dough in New York
- The Malaysian Project's Malaysian Style Burger, a juicy beef patty wrapped with egg, chili, and spicy mayo; and Kaya Toast, crisp toasted white bread with a sweet coconut jam that reminded me of my tropical childhood
- Jay Z opening his set and giving Queens a shoutout
- The crowd responding to Jay Z's set with a heartfelt singing of "Empire State of Mind"
- A-Trak mixing Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Heads Will Roll" as the sun was setting
- Weezer's cover of "Hey Ya!"
- Sleigh Bells absolutely destroying it (and possibly my ears)
- The inflatable tubes art installation dancing to house music
- When the fierce sunshine leaves Citi Field and welcomes dusk, the best time at the festival
- Hearing the subway tracks just around the corner
- Wishing it was sweater weather while it's sunny and 80 degrees
While Governors Ball continues to be a favorite, The Meadows' strong lineup, relaxed atmosphere and location — which is right in my backyard — is hard to beat.